Sound familiar? This is how I started 2019 and I loved it so much we're doing it again!
Are you excited about getting fit and changing your lifestyle for the New year? New year, New you! Before you dive in, ask yourself, realistically, can I achieve this goal? Have I done it before or is this a brand new theme for you? I want to make sure you are making a realistic goal, have real expectations, real accountability and real results. This is a great time to start.
1. Start small and start with 1 goal.
· If you make too many goals, chances are you will fail because you can’t change everything at 1 time. My biggest piece of advice would be to start with diet and exercise slowly. Make this 1 goal. You will work out for 30 minutes 4-5 days/week and you will follow this up with clean eating most days of the week. This small change will lead to so many benefits – more energy, better sleep, clothes will fit better, better spouse, co-worker, mom, dad, etc. You will feel the change right away and want to stick to this lifestyle
2. Schedule your workouts like you would schedule a doctor’s appointment.
· You wouldn’t cancel time and time again for your doctor’s appointment. You have to make exercise a priority and it doesn’t have to take long! For a morning workout, set your alarm, have your clothes laid out and ready for you. Have your coffee maker set, have your basement or room ready to flip the light switch, turn on the tunes and get to work! Once you get going, you will never regret it.
- Have you used the googls goal setting in your calendar? It's like a personal assistant. Try it.
3. Find a workout routine you actually enjoy.
· What makes you feel good and happy? I know for most people convenience is key. Do you have a gym close by with a personal trainer in mind? Do you have a small space in your house you can commit to with some dumbbells, music and a mat? You have endless choices and you know what will work for you.
· Clean eating is key. Make it a habit to grocery shop a few days/week for fruits and vegetables. Stay away from processed foods and deep fried foods. Cooking clean does not take long and it tastes good when done right. There are so many recipes online that you can follow to have dinner done in 30 minutes – and hey, no one said you couldn’t add glass of wine to your cooking routine – everything in moderation.
5. Water consumption
· Flush out those toxins and drink water. Get a refillable mug (yeti, hyrdroflask) and fill it up throughout the day. Do not rely on the office drinking fountain, that’s not enough water.
· Priortize your sleep to get 7-9 hours at night as many nights as you can. Of course this will be interuppted from time to time, but if you can make it a priority most of the time, your body will appreciate you.
7. Have fun. When you get into a routine, it feels good to feel good! It will be a lifestyle change when you make it enjoyable and see results. You have to commit and start small.
Happy 2020. The year of YOU.